Fabio Morán and Etifanio Silva decided to conquer this hostile territory back in 1870, sowing coffee trees on one of the highest summits of the Apaneca-Ilamatepec mountain range. They named the 28 hectares of land 'Siberia' for its chaotic weather conditions and its difficult accessibility. The name was very apt really.
One century later, Rafael Silva inherited the property.
Siberia is 1,450 metres above sea level and only grows shade-grown coffee. There are two main varietals grown on the farm, and 75% of production is Bourbon varietal while the other 25% is Pacamara. This lot is 100% Bourbon.
The names Carmen and Rafael De Silva might be familiar to lovers of El Salvadorian coffee. That'll be because they're the owners of one of my favourite farms: La Fany. I visited both La Fany and Siberia farms with Rafael and Carmen way WAY back in 2007.
I bought their coffee and loved it, but it fell off of our radar a little. El Salvador is somewhere we have worked very hard, and we have some amazing friends and coffees, but somehow the Siberia farm ended up getting lost to us. 🙁
Fast forward to 2012 and the Cup of Excellence. This sample hit our table and we were wowed. Really wowed! So much so that we bought the coffee at a crazy price and you snapped it up. We raved about it, and thought it only right to follow up on it.
In fact, the Siberia farm is highly decorated. It's been among the Cup of Excellence winners in the years 2005, 2007, 2008, and 2012.
So on my visit to El Salvador, Rafael and Carmen very kindly gave me a day of their time and took me to see their lovely new mill. We cupped some coffees and talked about how we could make sure we had coffee from Siberia farm this year, and also in future.
Siberia is located in the Cerro El Aguila canton. That's between Santa Ana and Chalchuapa, and in the region of Santa Ana and the Apaneca-Ilamatepec mountain range. This estate is exactly on the other side of the mountain from La Fany, the farm which we love so much.
This coffee will be gone from your cup before you know it. It's such a lovely balance of smooth and sweet caramel against gentle white grape and tangerine that it keeps pulling you back for another sip, until just a delicate raspberry is left lingering on that aftertaste.
Roast Information Medium dark – slow it down a little as you come towards the end of first crack to highlight that delicious caramel, but don't take it any further than the very first pops of second or you'll lose the balance provided by the delicate acidity.
choosing a selection results in a full page refresh